A pontoon belonging to the pyrotechnician caught fire at Lake Wendouree last night after the Australia Day fireworks display. Nobody was injured in the incident, and the community is today celebrating the best display in years.
The CFA was called to assist. This event was planned for in the risk assessment as fires on pyrotechnic pontoons are not uncommon.
However, stronger than expected winds saw the fire continue to burn on the pontoon and resulted in one of the pontoons sinking.
Little to no pollution has occurred into Lake Wendouree as there were no dangerous goods on the pontoon at the time it sank. City of Ballarat staff have been on-site today with the pyrotechnics company collecting debris and removing all pontoons, including the sunken pontoon.
The City of Ballarat has been impressed with the professionalism of the local pyrotechnics company and is pleased to note the many positive comments in the community today, many describing last night’s display as the best in years.
– Chief Executive Officer, Justine Linley